ChevronWP7 Labs Nov 14 update
First of all, we apologize if we didn’t reply to every comment, email or Twitter message. We’re committed to ensuring the service works for everyone. Whilst a majority of users were able to unlock successfully, we’ve been working very hard to resolve issues for some people.
We disabled token purchasing last week some problems . We had anticipated to re-enable purchasing sooner but one issue has turned out to be quite tricky.
Currently, we’re aware of an issue in which some phones do not properly communicate with the PC. This also means the unlocking process cannot be initiated. This not only affects ChevronWP7 Labs, but the official Microsoft Developer Unlock tool too.
We helped a number of users through a dozen known solutions and alternatives, all of which had no effect. Whilst some people had some success hard resetting their phone, this was neither guaranteed nor something we want to recommend.
We are currently in contact with Microsoft to explore other solutions, however this will probably take some time. Since this is an issue outside of our control, we will refund any users suffering from this problem who do not wish to wait. We ask that you first go through our support process to determine if you’re affected or not.
Needless to say, a lot of people are still waiting to use ChevronWP7 Labs. We know not being able to purchase a token has been frustrating, but please understand it was in good faith.
After implementing a number of server and client fixes today, we’re glad to announce token purchasing has now been re-enabled.
We anticipate a small number of new users will too run into the issue described above we hope they are patient while we continue our investigation.
- Resolved an issue in which users would be taken to the unlock screen despite phone communication errors. This means if you were receiving errors before, you will now get stuck at the start of the app. until you resolve the communication issue.
- Added a Windows Phone Support Tool v2 hash check; we discovered an issue in which the tool’s Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.dll is overwritten with an older version (by either Zune or other components).
- Added a trap for uncaught exceptions, to ease the support process.
- Moved FAQ to external blog post, added a link.
- Internal changes. :)
Update (15/11 10:07AM): We’ve looking into the “support tools” and “phone is ignoring us” errors with some additional information submitted by users. We hope the extra debug information will assist us in coming up with a solution.